Hey guys, Dan Thomas from Image Doctor and Improvemant.com and stay tuned to learn another COMMON MEN’S STYLE MISTAKES TO AVOID.
Today I’m talking about novelty t shirts which are generally in the form of an interest or passion of yours such as sci-fi, comic book characters, sports or humour based novelty tees like these examples:
Now let me start by saying I understand why you’re wearing the passion and interest based novelty tees as you see them as an expression of your passions and as a way to display your individuality.
I totally get and support that but you’ve come to my blog for men’s style advice among other topics so I’m going to approach this topic from the style and first impressions angle because whilst these novelty tees may be doing a good job of displaying your interests and personality, they’re doing a very poor job for your style and first impressions and this is for 2 main reasons.
And then regarding humour based novelty tees, in my opinion these are worse than your passion and hobby based tees because at least they are aligned to your personality where as the humour tees are almost telling people that you lack your own sense of humour and need to buy and display humour from a third party.
As I’ve said countless times in my videos and articles at Improvemant.com, style is subjective and I’m not hear to rain on your parade and put you down. I’m just passionate about helping men increase their confidence and the first and on going impressions they make.
And as a professional image consultant I have 2 options I’d advise regarding novelty tees.
• At work on casual/dress down days
• When you go out in social settings such as a pub or bar or even just the movies
• When you are entertaining at your house with a BBQ, daytime party or hosting a dinner party as your wife or girlfriend will be terribly embarrassed
• When you go to your kids weekend sports matches cause your wife will be embarrassed and comparing your novelty tee to the nice polos and t shirts the other dad’s are wearing which may also embarrass your kids
• And guys I’m begging you for your own good to never wear a novelty tee shirt on a first, second or tenth date with a new love interest.
And then the occasions when it may be OK to wear your novelty tees could be in the following examples such as:
• Walking your dog
• Taking your dog to the dog park
• Going to the gym
• Picking up some bread or milk from the local store
So keep this suggestion in mind guys and just be aware that we live in a very judgmental society in which all people will likely be judging, dissecting analysing your clothing when forming opinions of you. And whilst they will likely be doing this on a conscious level, they’ll 100% be doing so on an unconscious level.
If you enjoyed this post, feel free to like, share and leave your comments below and keep tuning back into Improvemant.com for regular videos to improve yourself as a man.
And if you’d like to dress sharper, feel more confident and actually enjoy the process of going clothes shopping you can see all my men’s personal styling and clothes shopping services here at my Image Doctor website.